9:00am – 5:00pm (7 hrs workshop)
Are you fascinated by the art of beekeeping and keen to gain the skills required to start your own hive?
In this full day workshop, Claire Brown from Flametree Beekepers will give you the knowledge and skills required to get you started as a backyard beekeeper.
The workshop will include a morning of theory and, weather permitting, an afternoon of hands-on, practical learning at our display hive. Specifically, your workshop will include:
- The life cycle of bees
- The roles of different bees in the hive
- Obtaining beehives
- Ideal hive placement
- Hive types and their characteristics
- Bee diseases – how to spot them
- Inspecting a beehive
- Managing your space
- Finding evidence of a queen bee
- Essential beekeeping resources
- Brood management
- Extracting honey
This workshop will build on the topics covered in the Intro to Beekeeping workshop, however you do NOT have to complete the intro workshop in order to book into the In depth workshop.
Before you book, please consider the following:
- The Green Connect farm is a working farm and all visitors must participate in a safety briefing at the beginning of your workshop.
- The terrain at the farm is steep and slippery in parts and your workshop may involve a moderately strenuous walk to reach some of our beehives. At this stage, this walk is not suitable for wheelchairs.
- Our farm plants love rain and so do we! We don’t cancel workshops or tours in wet weather unless there is a dangerous storm so please be sure to come prepared.
- Allergen advice: Our farm is home to domestic animals as well as bees, wasps and macadamia trees. If you are allergic, please inform us and keep your Epipen with you at all times.
All beekeeping workshop participants must:
- Wear thick pants such as jeans and a long sleeved shirt. DO NOT wear black as this may endanger you. The natural predators of honey bees are black (e.g. bears) so when they see something big and black coming their way, they will sting now and ask questions later!
- Wear enclosed shoes or boots (sorry no thongs or sandals allowed).
- Bring a hat and sunscreen or rain gear, depending on the weather forecast.
- Bring a water bottle.
Before booking, please read the Terms-and-Conditions