9:00am – 12:30pm (3.5 hrs workshop)
Are you fascinated by the world of bees? Have you ever thought about starting a hive of your own?
In this 3.5hr workshop, Claire Brown from Flametree Beekepers will introduce you to bee society, give you a brief history of beekeeping, and explain why bringing bees into your life is so enriching and fruitful. If weather permits, we will take a look at our display hive and get a glimpse into the day to day life of the honey bee.
This workshop is sure to inspire you and help you figure out whether beekeeping is for you!
Your workshop topics include:
- Hive types and their characteristics
- The amazing variety of honey bee products
- Practicalities to look into before getting bees
- Essential equipment
- If weather is permitting, we will open a hive onsite.
This workshop is sure to inspire you and help you decide whether or not beekeeping is for you. It is also a great first step towards the full day In depth Beekeeping workshop
Before you book, please consider the following:
- The Green Connect farm is a working farm and all visitors must participate in a safety briefing at the beginning of your workshop.
- The terrain at the farm is steep and slippery in parts and your workshop may involve a moderately strenuous walk to reach some of our beehives. At this stage, this walk is not suitable for wheelchairs.
- Our farm plants love rain and so do we! We don’t cancel workshops or tours in wet weather unless there is a dangerous storm so please be sure to come prepared.
- Allergen advice: Our farm is home to domestic animals as well as bees, wasps and macadamia trees. If you are allergic, please inform us and keep your Epipen with you at all times.
All beekeeping workshop participants must:
- Wear thick pants such as jeans and a long sleeved shirt. DO NOT wear black as this may endanger you. The natural predators of honey bees are black (e.g. bears) so when they see something big and black coming their way, they will sting now and ask questions later!
- Wear enclosed shoes or boots (sorry no thongs or sandals allowed).
- Bring a hat and sunscreen or rain gear, depending on the weather forecast.
- Bring a water bottle.
Before booking Intro to Beekeeping, please read the Terms-and-Conditions