Moussaka eggplant recipe
- 2 eggplants , sliced into thin rounds
- 2 tablespoons (34g) sea salt
- ½ cup (125ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (8g) minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon (5.5g) Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
MOUSSAKA MEAT SAUCE
- 1453.59g ground beef or lamb , (I used beef)
- 1 tablespoon (14ml) oil
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 tablespoons (16g) garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon (12g) Cajun seasoning
- 1 Bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon (1.3g) cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (2g) paprika
- ½ teaspoon (1g) ground all spice
- 2 tablespoons (3.2g) dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons (32g) tomato paste
- ½ cup (117.5ml) red wine
- 1x 225g can tomato sauce
MOUSSAKA CHEESE SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons (42g) butter
- 3 tablespoons (30g) flour
- 4 cups (960ml) whole milk
- 1 cup (100g) grated parmesan
- 1 egg yolk
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place eggplant rounds on a paper towel and sprinkle with sea salt until the eggplant begins to “sweat”. This is the moisture being pulled out by the salt. Dry with paper towel when moisture has come out. About 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, minced garlic and Italian seasoning. Brush olive oil mixture onto eggplant rounds and bake on a wire rack until browned and tender. About 25-30 minutes. Reduce oven to 177°C.
- Cook ground beef in a large skillet until cooked through. Strain and remove ground beef. Reserve ground beef on another plate.
- In the same skillet, heat oil and add onion, garlic, Cajun seasoning, bay leaf, cinnamon, paprika, all spice and dried parsley. Stir and cook until onions are tender.
- Add tomato paste and stir.
- Add red wine and simmer until sauce thickens.
- Then, add tomato sauce and mix well. Return ground beef to the pan and stir.
- In a saucepan, heat butter and add flour. Mix until well combined.
- Add milk and whisk until smooth and there are no lumps. Whisk often until the sauce is the consistency of pudding. About 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cheese.
- Whisk in egg yolk and whisk constantly until golden yellow. Season with salt and white pepper.
- Layer an 20x20cm baking dish with single layer of roasted eggplant. Follow with meat sauce. Add another layer of eggplant and another layer of meat sauce. Top with milk mixture and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese. Bake at 177°C for 30-45 minutes until browned and sides are bubbling. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!