Skip to content
Creamy Kohlrabi and Mushroom soup
- 2 large kohlrabi, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 medium-sized onion, roughly chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 225 grams mushroom, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp flour
- 5 cups Vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Cream or milk, or vegan alternative
- Salt, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Dried oregano and fresh cilantro leaves to garnish, optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C and line a baking tray with foil. Arrange the kohlrabi in a single layer and roast in the oven, for 30 minutes or until the soup base is ready.
- In a large deep pan, melt the butter. Thinly slice a couple of mushrooms, fry them in the butter till golden, remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
- Now add the onions, garlic and rest of the mushrooms. Sauté on low heat for 5-10 minutes till onions are translucent and aromatic. They must not brown.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pan and stir to coat the onions and mushrooms. Keep stirring and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the chicken or vegetable stock now and increase the heat to bring to a gentle boil.
- Meanwhile, remove kohlrabi from oven. They will be cooked but firm. Add them to the hot stock, season with salt, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes till the kohlrabi pieces are fully cooked and tender.
- Cool the soup slightly and use a blender or immersion blender to puree it. Return this to the pan, thin with more stock or water if needed, and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat and stir in the cream/milk. Do not boil after cream/milk is added.
- Ladle soup in to individual soup bowls, garnish with fried mushrooms, cracked black pepper and your favorite herbs. Serve hot or warm along with a thick slice of crusty bread.